CONTENTS

    HOME

    Lineage/Honors

    MP Corp Hist
     
    Taps

    PMO Opns

    CO's

    First Sgts

    Fort Bliss

    Australia

    Pacific Theatre

    Japan

    Korea

    Fort Gordon

    Fort Gulick

    Fort Benning

     Stuttgart

    Vietnam

    Fort Chaffee

    Fort Drum

    Bosnia/Kosovo

    Desert Storm

    Afghanistan

    Irag

    Fort Hood

    Fort Richardson

    OIF Irag 09 -10

    Associations

    1st Team's Finest

    545th Project

      793rd MP Bn

    Air Assets

    Artic MP Bn

    Ascots

    Awards

    Barracks Life

   BG Holland Award

    Bugle Calls

    Cartoons

    Cavalry Movies

    Cavalry Saber

    Chaplain

    Challenge Coins

    Christmas 545th

    CID

    Combat Opns

    Code of Conduct

    Confinement

    Constitution

    Early Commo

    Fiddlers Green

    Gate Guards

    Goto Stone

    Group Photos

    Guidons

    Head Gear

    Lanyards

    Marechaussee

    Mascots

    Mess Hall Opns

    MOI Stetson

    Monuments

    Mother Dorsey

    Motor Pool Opns

    Motorcycles

    MP Clubs

   MPC Hall of Fame

    MP Patches

    MP Stations

    MP Weapons

    Mutual Aid

    Order of the Spur

    Orderly Rooms

    Patches/Crests

    Pinups

  Pomp & Ceremony

    PMGs

   Provost Cmd SGM 

    Provost Troops

    Punch Bowl

    Sites And Links

    Soldier's Creed

    Sports

    Stars And Stripes

    Tattoos

   The Yellow Garter

    Unit Art

    US Navy

    USO

    Vehicles

    We Were Soldiers

     What is a Cav MP

  

   
                 
                    Music - Frank Sinatra "New York NY"

 

Fort Drum, New York

As of September 20, 2012

Fort Drum has been used as a military training site since 1908; however the Army’s presence in the North Country may be traced back to the early 1800’s.

With the outbreak of WW II, the area now known as Pine Camp was selected for a major expansion and an additional 75,000 acres of land was purchased, with that purchase, 525 local families were displaced.  Five entire villages were eliminated, while others were reduced from one-third to one-half their size. By Labor Day 1941, 100 tracts of land were taken over.

Eight hundred buildings were constructed to house the many military organizations scheduled to be assigned to this post.  Among them were General George Patton’s 4th Armored Division (Gen. Creighton Abrams was a battalion commander here at the time), the 45th Infantry Division and the 5th Armored Division.

The post also served as a Prisoner of War Camp.  Of those prisoners who died here, one Italian and six Germans are still buried in the Sheepfold Cemetery near Remington Pond.

Pine Camp became Camp Drum in 1951, named after Lt. Gen. Hugh A. Drum who commanded the First Army during World War II.  During and after the Korean Conflict a number of units were stationed and trained here to take advantage of the terrain and climate.

The post was designated Fort Drum in 1974 and a permanent garrison was assigned.  In January 1984, the Department of the Army announced it was studying selected Army posts to house a new light infantry division.  On September 11, 1984, the announcement was made that Fort Drum would be the new home of the 10th Light Infantry Division.  Today, Fort Drum consists of 107,265 acres.

On February 14, 1982, 2nd Platoon, 545th MP Company deployed to Fort Drum in direct support of the 2nd Brigade of the 1st Cavalry Division for Operation Blue Northern. 

Platoon leadership was as follows:

                                                      Platoon Leader:                        1Lt William Strite (545th MP Co. Assn. member)
                                                      Platoon Sergeant:                    SFC Carl Landry
                                                      Squad Leaders:                        SSG Sharp, SSG Trevino and SGT Cutchfield

Information and photos provided by 1LT Bill Strite and the Home Page for Fort Drum

 

Fort Hood Sentinel
Combat Police
MP’s Show field Mission at Fort Drum

By WAYNE BLANKENBILLER

“Don’t leave home without us,” is the motto of the First Team’s 545th MP Co. So when the 2nd Bde. Went to Fort Drum, not only were the MP’s not left at home; they distinguished themselves in the eyes of the brigade commander, Col. William S. Streeter, as “the most tactical unit in the field.”

“It was a great opportunity for us to demonstrate to the other units just what our function is all about in the field.  Back at Fort Hood, they see us as the guys who give out traffic tickets, but here at Fort Drum, many were surprised to find out that we are out there to help in the field too.” Said 1st Lt. William Strite, platoon leader, 2nd Plt., 545th MP Co.

The MP’s accomplished their mission of supporting the Blackjack brigade and their units during the Army Readiness Training Evaluation Programs with 30 MP’s and two mechanics, according to Strite.

There were many different functions fulfilled by the 545th’s troopers.  One of these was circulation control which included keeping both personnel and vehicles moving in a smooth flow of traffic during field exercises.  The vehicular traffic was the biggest challenge here, because as Strite explained, “in a challenge between a Volkswagen and a tank, you know who is going to win.”

Under wartime conditions the circulation control of personnel would be great as well, she said.  Personnel would include those civilians displaced by military action, and stragglers from the battle area.

This flow of personnel requires the maintenance of security and the gathering of relevant intelligence concerning the forward area, said Strite.

Another function of the MP’s was to conduct route reconnaissance from which to develop map overlays, showing type and level of traffic each route could handle.

A third requirement was for the MP’s to act as convoy escorts during the transportation of such sensitive items as food, fuel and ammunition, according to SFC. Carl Landry, platoon sergeant, 2nd Plt., 545th MP Co.

They also provided rear area protection for the brigade support area, security at the brigade tactical operations center, conducted prisoner of war operations, maintained a mini-MP station in the field, and provided physical security for armaments and other sensitive items.

In addition, these First Teamers supported the Fort Drum MP’s on a one-to-one basis and acted as the liaison between the local MP’s and the Blackjack commander.

“We brought all of our own vehicles and equipment, so we have been self-sustaining throughout the operation.”  explained Landry, “except for the administrative support we have received from our “Big Daddy” DISCOM.

“Not only did the other units find out more about how we can help them in the field, we found out how the other units help us.” said Strite.

“This experience will make for even better working relationships with these units when we return to Fort Hood,” continued Strite.

 


 

2nd Platoon CP during Operation Blue Northern at Fort Drum

 


 

Unofficial 2nd Platoon, 545th MP Co. Gideon at Fort Drum

 


 

1LT Bill Strite at Fort Drum

 

Blue Northern at Ft Drum SP4 Angel Fuentes, SGT Bill Crutchfield, PV2 Chad B. McRee and PV2 Brian Harris1982.

 

 

 

 


Sam Reinert
CPT MP USAR (Ret)
Founder
545th Military Police Company Association
626 1/2 South 9th Street
Richmond, Indiana 47374 USA
(765) 962 4627 phone & FAX
http://545thmpassn.com/